How does drinking water from a copper vessel affect your body?

Many people believe in the desi tradition of storing water va copper vessel or drinking water from a copper cup. But how much truth is there in this tradition? Is it really beneficial or is it just another fad?

According to Healthline, copper is an important nutrient and plays a key role in various basic bodily functions, such as energy production and your brain’s chemical messaging system. You can find large amounts of copper in foods such as shellfish, nuts, seeds, potatoes, hot chocolate and organ meat. Copper improves brain and heart health and also has an antibacterial effect. Filling water in copper cups/containers for more than 48 hours can also kill harmful bacteria in the water.

“Copper helps improve digestion and prevents constipation and acidity. Copper also has anti-inflammatory properties, so it boosts immunity. Water stored in a copper vessel is alkaline, so drinking it also cools the body,” explains nutritionist Jinal Patel.

Nutritionist Garima Goyal agrees with the health benefits of drinking from a copper vessel and considers what Ayurveda has to say about drinking from a copper vessel.

“Ancient Ayurvedic texts claim that drinking water from a copper vessel heals the three doshas of the body, namely Vata, Pitha and Kapha, by positively charging the water. When food is consumed and digested, toxins are released and heat is generated in the body. Alkaline water with the addition of copper balances the acidity of the body and also cools the body. So I would give it a thumbs up, especially during the hot summer,” she explains.

It also talks about the best time to have copper activated water. To take advantage of all the health benefits, according to the expert, early morning, on an empty stomach, would be the most suitable. However, it is important to remember that copper is a trace mineral that the body needs in small amounts. Therefore, consumption must never be overdone, as this can lead to copper toxicity.

Healthline also states that “Long-term exposure to high doses of copper can cause copper toxicity characterized by nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain and diarrhoea. It can even lead to liver damage and kidney disease.”

According to the World Health Organization (WHO), a person should have no more than 0.47 mg of copper per cup (2 mg per liter) of water. At the end of the day, everything must be done in moderation. Don’t go overboard and rely too much on just one thing to bring you health benefits.

Follow us for more lifestyle news Instagram | Twitter | Facebook and don’t miss the latest updates!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *